Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dying With Dignity

It's been a little while since I updated you about my treatment.  The immunotherapy trial was unsuccessful for me, and landed me in the hospital multiple times.  Another trial involving a targeted treatment of the FGFR protein was also unsuccessful, as the cancer was more progressed than we had realized.  And so now my care has focused on keeping me comfortable in this last stage of my life.  

There is something I've been meaning to blog about for months, and that is, the attention created by Brittany Maynard.  It seemed like a likely blog post for me, however, it cut too close to home.  Now that I'm in a different situation, I feel that I can talk about this.   

Brittany Maynard chose to end her life on her terms, and in her time.  And her death was dignified.  Brittany's answer to the question of how to die in a dignified way is not mine.  Brittany died in a dignified way, and in a why that was her choice, and her right.  And it was dignified, for her.  

My choice, in my situation, is very different.  My decision to die in a hospital with hospital care is dignified for me.  And that is the question for all of us: what is dignified for you?  All along, I have made decisions that were right for me.  And this includes how I'm choosing to die now.  For some of you, dying in a hospital with assistance from devices like a catheter (which I now have) may not be dignified, but for me, this care it is one more decision that gives me more time and is the right choice for me.

Throughout my treatment, I have always chosen quantity over quality.  As in, I want to live as long as I can.  I chose multiple clinical trials, which was risky, but seemed to offer the promise of quantity of time. Which was my choice, and a decision I made with dignity.  

What has been important to me, has been the ability to spend more time with my friends, and my family, and my husband. And because of my choices, I have been able to do so.  Even now, even in the hospital, and maybe even in a way in which I couldn't've, if I were to have chosen to die at home.

In many ways, dying as a young adult with stage four cancer is unique.  My body is strong and healthy, except for the parts being destroyed by the cancer.  And the parts being destroyed by the cancer need lots of medical care.  The other day my oncologist said to me, "If you were a 70 or 80 year old woman, you would only have a couple of days, but because your situation is so unique, we can't make those kind of predictions."  This idea of being unique has been an oft repeated refrain, throughout my treatment.  My case is unique in many ways, including the fact that I am a young adult, and that I have been so relatively healthy, in spite of my cancer.

To me, dying with dignity means making your own choice. For me, I made my own choice.  Much in the same way that Brittany Maynard made her own choice.  And I hope that anyone who has to die from cancer is allowed to make their own choice - which is how I define dying with dignity. 

(Hi, Matt Damon here. (As in the husband.) So my wife asked me to help her write this final post.  She dictated her thoughts to me, and I tried to put them together as best I could, which isn't her usual style, and so if you noticed something seemed different about the writing style, you were correct.)




11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry your cancer has progressed this far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you be strengthened during this tough time as you battle the cancer. Newton Kenyatta University School of medicine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed of Herpes 2years ago and I have tried all possible means to get the cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a Herbal Doctor(Dr imoloa who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes, at first i doubted, if it was real but decided to give him a trial, when i contacted Dr imoloa through his Email: drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com he guided me and prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier Delivery service,when i received the package (herbal medicine) He gave me instructions on how to consume it, i started using it as instructed and i stop getting outbreaks and the sores started vanishing, could you believe i was cured of this deadly virus within two to three weeks and notices changes in my body. Days of using this REMEDY,couldn't believe the healing at first until i see it as my HERPES get cleared like magic Dr imoloa also use his herbal medicine to cure diseases like, HIV/aids, lupus disease, dry cough, fever, malaria, bronchitis disease, cystic fibrosis, Lyme disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, alzheimer's disease, blood poisoning, measles, cervical cancer, kidney cancer, chronic kidney disease, diarrhoea, epilepsy, joint pain, mouth ulcer,bowel cancer, discoid eczema, eye cancer, food poisoning, fibroid, hairy cell leukaemia, mouth cancer, skin cancer disease, lung cancer, rheumatoid lung disease, liver disease, penile cancer, parkinson disease, arthritis, breast cancer, bone cancer hepatitis A.B.C, Diabetes, fatigue, muscle aches, anal cancer, asthma, Contact this great herbal Doctor today the father of herbalism. via Email: drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or whatssapp him +2347081986098. and get cured permanently He is real..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw so many testimonies about Dr Itua a great HERBAL DOCTOR that can cure all kind of diseases and give you the rightful health to live a joyful life, i didn't believe it at first, but as the pain got worse and my life was at risk after visiting my therapist numeriuos times for combination of treatments. and no changes so i decided to take a try, I contacted him also and told him i want a cure for Vulvar cancer/ Testicular cancer and it was Stage IIIA, he gave me advice on what i must do and he delivered it to me in my state which i use according to his instruction, and today i must say I am so grateful to this man Dr Itua for curing me from Vulvar cancer/ Testicular cancer and for restoring me back to my normal health and a sound life,i am making this known to every one out there who have been living with cancers all his life or any sick person should not waist more time just contact him with his details below- WhatsApp- +2348149277967 Email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, believe me this man is a good man with Godly heart, this is the real secret we all have been searching for. Do not waste more time contact him today for you also to live a sound and happy life. he cure the following disease________Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CÓMO ME CURÉ DE VIRUS DE HERPES.

    Hola a todos, estoy aquí para dar mi testimonio sobre un herbolario llamado Dr. imoloa. Fui infectado con el virus del herpes simple 2 en 2013, fui a muchos hospitales para curarme pero no había solución, así que estaba pensando en cómo puedo encontrar una solución para que mi cuerpo pueda estar bien. un día estaba en el lado de la piscina navegando y pensando en dónde puedo encontrar una solución. Visito muchos sitios web donde vi tantos testimonios sobre el Dr. Imoloa sobre cómo los curó. No lo creía pero decidí intentarlo, lo contacté y él me preparó el herpes que recibí a través del servicio de mensajería de DHL. Lo tomé durante dos semanas después, luego me indicó que fuera a hacerme un chequeo, después de la prueba me confirmaron que tenía herpes negativo. Soy tan libre y feliz. por lo tanto, si tiene un problema o está infectado con alguna enfermedad, comuníquese con él por correo electrónico drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. o / whatssapp - + 2347081986098.
    Este testimonio sirve como una expresión de mi gratitud. él también tiene
    cura a base de hierbas para, FIEBRE, DOLOR CORPORAL, DIARREA, ÚLCERA BOCA, FATIGA DE CÁNCER DE BOCA, ACOLES MUSCULARES, LUPUS, CÁNCER DE PIEL, CÁNCER DE PENE, CÁNCER DE MAMA, CÁNCER PANCREÁTICO, ENFERMEDAD RENAL CRÓNICA, CÁNCER DE VAGINAL, CÁNCER DE VAGINA, CÁNCER DE VAGINA ENFERMEDADES DE POLIO, ENFERMEDAD DE PARKINSON, ENFERMEDAD DE ALZHEIMER, ENFERMEDAD DE BULIMIA, ENFERMEDAD CONJUNTA INFLAMATORIA FIBROSIS CÍSTICA, ESQUIZOFRENIA, ÚLCERA CORNEAL, EPILEPSIA, ESPECTRO DE ALCOHOL FETAL, LICEN PLANUS, CÁCEDAS, TES, CÁCEDAS, CÁCEDAS, CÁCEDAS DE HIERBAS / SIDA, ENFERMEDAD RESPIRATORIA CRÓNICA, ENFERMEDAD CARDIOVASCULAR, NEOPLASMAS, TRASTORNO MENTAL Y DE COMPORTAMIENTO, CLAMIDIA, ZIRIA VIRUS, EMISIS, TUBERCULOSIS BAJO SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, SECO TOS, ARTHRI. ERECCIÓN, AMPLIACIÓN DEL PENE. Y ASÍ.

    ReplyDelete